Monday 14 November 2011

Idea for professional Artefact

I haven't blogged for a while because I have been busy writing up my critical review which is getting there. Recently I have been giving a lot of thought to my professional artefact and I am considering doing an experiment of sorts. Since my inquiry has been firstly about body image and secondly about nutrition I have decided to give the topic of nutrition precedence in my artefact.

I am going to attend the same Jazz class every Thursday for three weeks starting this Thursday. The class is at 8.45pm. The first week I shall eat nutritious options for breakfast, lunch and dinner (I will be using meals outlined by Jasmine Challis in a piece of literature I reviewed for my inquiry about healthy eating for dancers). The second week I shall eat foods with are less healthy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The final week I shall eat almost nothing all day (I obviously do not want to pass out from eating nothing so I will make sure I eat a little food).

I will film myself and comment on what I've eaten in the day how I felt before the class, during the class and once the class is over.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to see if the idea works - participant observation using audio-visual material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think filming yourself is a great idea!

    For the observation, are you changing 'what to eat'(healthy/less healthy) and 'how much to eat' (normal/almost nothing)?

    This is irrelevant to the body image aspect of dance nutrition, so please forgive me for blabbing on.
    I am currently experimenting on how 'when to eat' will affect my dancing in class.
    I get sleepy if I eat a proper meal less than an hour prior to class, but lose focus and lack concentration if I don't eat anything for more than 5 hours.
    Dancers seem to take small portions throughout the day (between rehearsals/ cereal bars, a piece of fruit etc.) rather than all at once (a big breakfast, then nothing for the rest of the day').

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mina,

    I have changed my idea slightly. I was originally going to eat traditionally unhealthy foods such as fast food to see how that would affect my performance. However, I realised after further research that perhaps a more beneficial experiment would be to not eat carbohydrates for a day as this is our main source of energy as well as doing the eating nothing diet.

    I want to see how food is used as fuel by a dancer and what affect diet has on our performance.

    I

    ReplyDelete