Tuesday 29 March 2011

Critical Reflection on Pilot Survey

As a way of collecting information on my chosen topic the survey was an excellent starting point because it helped me to see how the issues of diet, health and body image effect other dancers. The main down side to the survey was that I couldn't get personal opinions from it. However, I was able to see from the results that many dancers have struggled with eating disorders and body image in the past and this made me feel confident that my inquiry will be useful to dancers. The pilot survey has given me a good foundation to build the rest of the inquiry on I now know what questions need to be followed up on. What the surveys lacked, i.e detail, will be sorted via my pilot interview.

I also thought that putting the survey on a website was great because it meant that lots of people had the opportunity to fill it in. I have so many friend that are dancers on my facebook that I posted it on my page and I got a good response. If I were to hand them out to dancers, for example, before a dance class I do not think I would get as many people filling them out and giving them back because it would require things such as time and having a pen handy and also they would be inclined to look at what other dancers were writing. Also, all these dancers would be from the same area and therefore it would be a smaller demographic filling them out. By posting the link to my facebook profile meant that I got results from both males and females who are all different ages and nationalities with varying levels of experience and training. What made this very interesting indeed was that where answers to some questions differed greatly, answers to most questions were very similar meaning that this topic is something that a lot of dancers have similar feelings about. I am definitely going to use a this questionnaire, possibly with a few changes (to be determined by how the rest of these pilot research methods go) to begin my inquiry.

2 comments:

  1. Yes a survey online can be a convenience - we did our Census online this year in England - remember in these trials you have not yet completed all the ethics procedures - so these are to try out some informal tools in order to get practice in using them. Thinking the process through with people you do no know will be important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought more about my survey while doing my Inquiry plan. There are questions about diet that I would like to add in to the final questionnaire. It interests me to know how many dancers actually know what kinds of things they should be eating in order to keep their bodies healthy.

    ReplyDelete