Saturday 23 April 2011

Critical Reflection on Pilot Focus Group

I conducted my pilot focus group with four dancers I am working with in the current production I am doing. I thought that it was good because I used a very free approach. I told them what I am looking into and they discussed the topic and experiences they have had with weight and diet throughout their training and careers. The positive side of the focus group was that the participants could bounce ideas off of one another. However, the downside was that two members talked a lot and the other two agreed with their opinions and didn't really contribute their own to the focus group. This is a problem because I couldn't tell whether they really agreed or whether they were just following the trend. Personally, I thought that this made the outcome bias and I have decided that individual interviews are better to find out people's true opinions on the subject I am looking into. I liked the freeness of the way I carried out the focus group though. I thought that this gave some of the participants opportunity to chose how they talked about the topic which resulted in some great feedback. I have decided to use a little more freedom int my interviews but not to do a focus group in my final inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment