Thursday 11 November 2010

Reflection - In - Action

Today, I was taking a dance class at Amsterdam Dance Centre, which is like the version of Pineapple here. As I was following the class I was very aware of how I was learning in a way I had never considered before. Every time I corrected myself I knew I was engaging in what was named 'Reflection-In-Action' by (Schon 1984). I would never have thought before that I was reflecting at this point. We often think of refection solely as something we engage in after an event and this is why it is thought of as tacit knowledge. Our careers are very physical and if we say fall out of a pirouette we have to reflect there and then using our bodies in order to improve. Leaving it and thinking about it later or even writing it down later would not work because next time you go to do that pirouette then chances are it won't work again because we 'think' with our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment